Contact Us
24/7 0115 941 4101

A.W. Lymn

0115 941 4101

A.W. Lymn Pre Need

0800 092 0645

City Flowers Nottingham

0115 952 6666

The Craftsmen in Stone

0115 911 4411

Lymn Luxury Vehicle Hire

0115 911 4401

Carriage Masters

0115 941 4101

Financial advice

Financial advice

Dealing with money matters is often the last thing you want to be doing when you have suffered a bereavement. Unfortunately, it is something that has to be addressed and some Financial matters are more pressing than others. Time delays can lead to unnecessary complication and cost.

What should I do first?

The first thing is to register the death and take care of the funeral arrangements.

The cost of the funeral can normally be released directly from one of the deceased's accounts upon production of the invoice and death certificate, if there are sufficient funds. If there are insufficient funds, you may be eligible to help from the State - please ask and you will be advised of the eligibility criteria.

Once you have attended to the above, it is advisable to write a list with the following information: -

  1. Accounts/Shares/ISA's etc
  2. Life Insurance
  3. Private Pensions/Annuities
  4. DWP/State Pension
  5. Utility Companies
  6. Council Tax
  7. Buildings Insurance

All these people may have to be contacted and if you write a list at the start then this will help organise what needs to be done.
The person that has the responsibility of dealing with the administration of the estate is either: -

  1. The executor if there is a Will
  2. The next of kin under the rules if Intestacy of there is no Will

It will be up to them to decide whether they wish to deal with matters personally or whether to get assistance from a Solicitor to assist with the administration of the estate.

There can be many pitfalls in administering an estate for the layperson; you can open yourself up to claims against yourself personally for many thousands of £'s. You should always seek professional legal advice to protect yourself against potential claims such as from the DWP if the deceased was in receipt of means tested benefits.
Whether you will require a Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration to deal with the estate will depend on what actually requires to be dealt with. As a rule of thumb, it is required if there is: -

  1. Land or Property
  2. Money in accounts over £15K

The circumstances will dictate, and it is often not required on the first death in a couple whose assets are held jointly.
Some Solicitors offer a free initial consultation to assess whether you require their services, you may wish to take advantage of this. If not and you require assistance later after coming up against something you are finding it difficult to deal with - go and get their help rather than worrying.

Where to find help?

Each A.W. Lymn office has a relationship with a local firm of solicitors who will be able to assist you from a local office and will be familiar with the procedures following a death.

Austin Moore




Curtis Parkinson

The friendly, experienced team here at Curtis Parkinson know exactly how worrying and heart-breaking it can be dealing with certain family issues - whether that is a death or making decisions for someone who is no longer able to do this for themselves. Because we understand, we offer you free initial advice and guidance on all matters connected with will writing, trusts, probate and power of attorney from our offices in Bulwell and Clifton, Nottingham.

0800 0566042 :

Fidler and Pepper


Fraser Brown

0115 933 5311 :

Massers Solicitors


Rothera Sharp

Nottingham solicitors, Rothera Sharp, offer a dedicated, pro-active legal service to both businesses and individuals across the East Midlands and beyond and have been providing high-quality legal advice for close to 200 years.

0800 088 6280 :

Simpson Solicitors



Get  In  Touch