Time ﬂies - for all of us
Sooner or later we will all need the help of a funeral director, and although there may be new businesses which can provide such services, for
some it never seems quite right, or respectful, to make use of a ﬁrm that has not acquired the elusive patina of age, that indeﬁnable degree
of dignity which can only be gained through having been around for many years.
- A.W. Lymn The Family Funeral Service is a well known name and has long been associated with Nottingham’s inner city. Our headquarters is still
located in Sneinton just a few hundred yards from Goosegate, where our founders, Arthur William Lymn and his son Harold Percy Lymn, traded
as furniture makers and dealers at the turn of the nineteenth century.
- In 1907 father and son decided to specialise in the manufacture and supply of coffins and the provision of a full funeral service, hence their
entry into the ‘undertaking’ profession as it was most commonly known in those days.
- The new business was soon so successful that it had to move to larger premises. In 1915 the office was moved to Bath Street, opposite Sneinton
Market. The ﬁrms horses were stabled in Robin Hood Street and coffins manufactured in Handel Street. The stables were eventually replaced
with garaging for motor vehicles; the same site now housing an impressive array of silver Rolls-Royce hearses and family cars, reputed
to be the largest privately owned ﬂeet of such vehicles in the world.
- When Arthur William Lymn died in 1929 control of the business passed to his widow Louisa and their son Harold.
- When Louisa in turn passed on in 1939 Harold took sole charge. Despite the coming of war in 1939, the introduction of petrol rationing and
other wartime restrictions the business still continued to grow. Harold himself was involved in the war effort serving as a volunteer at
the Civil Defence mortuary.
- Harold’s son Douglas and son-in-law George Rose continued to develop the business which became a limited company in 1958. Douglas and George
became members of the British Institute of Embalmers and were involved in the ﬁrst repatriation of human remains from England to Pakistan
at about this time.
- In 1977, a year after Harold’s death, the company moved its headquarters to Robin Hood House, in Robin Hood Street where the main hub of the
ﬁrm can still be found today.
- By the early years of the 21st century there were 25 funeral homes serving the whole of Nottinghamshire and South Derbyshire, as well as an
in-house ﬂoristry division, monumental masonry business and a luxury vehicle hire department. Our ﬂeet is renowned across the country and
regularly travels great distances to be of service.
George Rose and his wife Sheila, (Harold’s daughter), are still involved in the business, their son Nigel Lymn Rose and their daughter Jackie are
both Directors. Nigel’s wife Penny and son Matthew are also Directors, his daughter Chlöe administers the Centenary Foundation. Arthur William’s
great, great grandson Ben is the manager of The Craftsmen in Stone, the company’s monumental masonry division, which was founded by Ernest
Smith along with Harold Lymn.
The respect accorded to the departed and the bereaved by Arthur and Harold Lymn has happily been transmitted, undiluted, to the present generations
now running this family ﬁrm.